The independent advisory panel is tasked with issuing opinions on whether a tobacco product has a characterising flavour. The panel should also further specify and update, as appropriate, the methodology for the technical assessment of products as set out in Commission Implementing Decision (EU) 2016/786. In addition, the Commission may consult the panel on other matters relating to the assessment of characterising flavours. As appropriate, the panel shall request input from a technical group of sensory and chemical assessors that will be established by the Commission via a public procurement procedure.
The following experts are members of the Independent Advisory Panel (IAP) assisting Member States and the Commission in determining whether tobacco products have a characterising flavour:
- Dr. Alberto Del Rio, Innovamol Consulting Srl, Bologna, Italy
- Dr. Garmt Dijksterhuis, The Netherlands
- Dr. Jan van Amsterdam, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Mr. Emmanuel Vanzeveren, It makes sense SPRL, Braine Le Comte, Belgium (Vice-chair)
- Dr. Wouter Visser, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), Bilthoven, The Netherlands
- Prof. Efthimios Zervas, Hellenic Open University, Patra, Greece (Chair)
Declarations of interest are available at the Register of the Commission Expert Groups.
All the members signed the declaration of commitment and confidentiality.
- Methodology for the technical assessment of test products (as approved, technical background)
- Rules of procedures of the IAP
- Opinions adopted by the IAP
The members of the IAP can be contacted through the Secretariat at the following address:
DG Health and Food Safety (SANTE)
Unit B2 – Cross-Border Healthcare and Tobacco Control
B -1049 Brussels