The STAMP expert group is set up to provide advice and expertise to the Commission services in relation to the implementation of the EU Pharmaceutical legislation, as well as programmes and policies in this field. The STAMP will exchange views and information about the experience of Member States, examine national initiatives and identify ways to use more effectively the existing EU regulatory tools with the aim to further improve safe and timely access and availability of medicines for patients.
Repurposing of medicines
In June 2019, STAMP, with the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and stakeholders, developed a proposal for a framework to support not-for-profit organisations and academia in drug repurposing. The proposed framework will be tested through a pilot project launched by EMA and the Heads of Medicines Agencies on 28 October 2021.
The aim of the pilot is to support not-for-profit organisations and academia to gather or generate sufficient evidence on the use of an established medicine in a new indication to have this new use formally authorised by a regulatory authority. This is a way of making affordable new treatment options available to patients. Further information is available in a question-and-answer document.
The pilot is open to not-for-profit stakeholders and academia (institutions and individuals) who have a particular interest in repurposing an authorised medicine for a new indication in an area of public health interest, have a scientific rationale for their repurposing programme and would like to seek scientific advice with a regulatory authority. They should apply to EMA or national authorities:
European Medicines Agency: Scientific advice and protocol assistance (see under ‘Scientific advice on medicine repurposing’)
The pilot is one of the actions highlighted in the Pharmaceutical Strategy for Europe to inform the review of the pharmaceutical legislation. For more details of the strategy see: A pharmaceutical strategy for Europe.
- 12th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 29 January 2021
- 11th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 15 March 2019
- 10th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 3 December 2018
- 9th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 8 June 2018
- 8th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 8 December 2017
- 7th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 27 June 2017
- 6th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 13-14 March 2017
- 5th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 28 June 2016
- 4th Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 10 March 2016
- 3d Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 20 October 2015
- 2nd Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 6 May 2015
- 1st Meeting of the STAMP Expert Group on 27 January 2015