- Publication date
- 4 March 2020
- Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS)
WG on Cosmetic Ingredients
SCCS members: U. Bernauer, L. Bodin (Rapporteur), Q. Chaudhry, P.J. Coenraads (Chairperson), M. Dusinska, J. Ezendam, E. Gaffet, C. L. Galli, B. Granum, E. Panteri, V. Rogiers, Ch. Rousselle, M. Stepnik, T. Vanhaecke, S. Wijnhoven
SCCS external experts: A. Koutsodimou, A. Simonnard, W. Uter
Contact:SANTE-C2-SCCSec [dot] europa [dot] eu (SANTE-C2-SCCS[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu)
On request from: European Commission
SCCS Number: SCCS/1613/19
Adopted on: 03-04 March 2020
Conclusion of the opinion:
1. In light of the new data provided, does the SCCS consider that Aluminium compounds are safe in
• Other cosmetic products such as lipsticks and toothpastes?
In the light of the new data provided, the SCCS considers that the use of aluminium compounds is safe at the following equivalent aluminium concentrations up to:
· 6.25% in non-spray deodorants or non-spray antiperspirants
· 10.60% in spray deodorants or spray antiperspirants
· 2.65% in toothpaste and
· 0.77 % in lipstick
2. Does the SCCS have any further scientific concerns regarding the use of Aluminium compounds in cosmetic products taking into account exposure from other sources?
The SCCS considers that the systemic exposure to aluminium via daily applications of cosmetic products does not add significantly to the systemic body burden of aluminium from other sources. Exposure to aluminium may also occur from sources other than cosmetic products, and a major source of aluminium in the population is the diet. This assessment has not taken into account the daily dietary intake of aluminium.
3. In the event that the estimated exposure to Aluminium from specific types of cosmetic products is found to be of concern, SCCS is asked to recommend safe concentration limits for the presence of Aluminium in those cosmetic products or other risk reducing measures.
SCCS, scientific opinion, Aluminium, Regulation 1223/2009
Opinion to be cited as:
SCCS (Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety), Opinion on the safety of aluminium in cosmetic products, preliminary version of 30-31 October 2019, final version of 03-04 March 2020, SCCS/1613/19.