BEACON - Cancer Care Beacon - Reducing Disparities Across the European Union
Disparities in cancer care have a big impact on survival rates, as well as on the quality of life and mental health of patients and their families.
Income, education, location and ethnicity are some of the most important factors affecting quality of care in Europe. Healthcare costs, treatment options, integration of research and innovation into care and access to information and multidisciplinary care teams are other areas to target in addressing disparities.
To facilitate delivery of higher-quality cancer care, BEACON aims to identify the reasons for and reduce disparities in care across Europe.
Specifically, it will:
- map and increase the capacity and capabilities of cancer treatment centres in EU Member States;
- help patients to find the best treatment options, healthcare providers to share resources and expertise, researchers to share data on disparities, and policymakers to align funding with patients' priorities;
- improve training and ensure that accreditation of care providers reflects quality of care.
- Project duration
- 1 Nov 2022 - 31 Oct 2024
- Project locations
- Overall budget
- €1 420 125
- EU contribution
- €1 136 10080% of the overall budget
- EU4health - Projects
- Diagnosis and treatment
BEACON will deliver:
- a roadmap to scale capacity and capabilities in order to address disparities in cancer care;
- reports and interactive web applications to support decision making by patients, healthcare providers, researchers and policymakers;
- a sustainability plan for keeping the project alive beyond the 2-year EU4Health funding period.