Commission evaluations assess the performance of existing policies, programmes and legislation. The evaluation uses evidence to judge how well the intervention has performed (or is working), taking account of earlier predictions made in the context of a former impact assessment. The evaluation goes beyond an assessment of what has happened; it considers why something has occurred (and what links, if any, can be made to the role of the EU intervention) and, if possible, how much has changed as a consequence. It thus aims (where possible) to draw conclusions about the causal effects of the EU intervention on the desired outcomes.
This evaluation comes at a time of renewed impetus for tobacco control actions in the EU, brought by Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan (EBCP). The plan calls for the creation of a “Tobacco-Free Generation”, where less than 5% of the population uses tobacco by 2040, compared to around 25% today. The interim goal is to reach the WHO target of a 30% relative reduction in tobacco use by 2025 as compared to 2010, corresponding to a smoking prevalence of around 20% in the EU.
This policy consultation website is dedicated to the Evaluation of legislative framework for tobacco control and will be updated on a regular basis with information on the most recent developments and upcoming consultation activities. It is also going to be used to reach out to and invite relevant stakeholder groups to participate in the most effective way, as well as to announce upcoming events.
- Public consultation (21 February 2023 - 16 May 2023)
- Call for evidence
- Report on the application of the TPD
- Support study to the report on the application of the TPD
- Study on smoke-free environments and advertising of tobacco and related products
- Report on the implementation of the EU Tobacco Advertising Directive
- Study on “Consumer preference and perception of specific categories of tobacco and related products”
- SCHEER’s opinion on electronic cigarettes
- Special Eurobarometer 506 (on attitudes of Europeans towards tobacco and electronic cigarettes)
- , which supported the implementation of the Tobacco Products Directive in the EU countries
- 2012 Revision of the Tobacco Products Directive