The Expert Group on Public Health advises the Commission on public health and health systems, in relation to non-communicable and communicable diseases, such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and hepatitis. The expert group will also advise on ways to address challenges concerning vaccination and antimicrobial resistance.
The Commission chairs the Expert Group on Public Health, the members are the representatives of the Member States’ health ministries. The Commission Decision setting up this expert group provides additional information on its tasks and operation.
The Commission may also set up sub-groups for examining specific questions. These limited-time sub-groups report to the Expert Group on Public Health.
The sub-groups on cancer and, non-communicable diseases set up under the ‘Steering Group on Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and Management of Non-Communicable Diseases’ will continue as sub-groups under the Expert Group on Public Health:
- Sub-group on Mental health
- Sub-group on Vaccination
- Sub-group on Cancer
- Sub-group on Non-communicable diseases
- Network of Expertise on Long COVID
The Expert Group on Public Health will take forward the work developed under the Steering Group on Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and the Management of Non-Communicable Diseases in a number of areas, in particular on:
The work of the Expert Group on Public Health will be supported by public health resources, such as:
- A best practice portal for consulting and sharing best practices. Review of the EU Best Practice assessment process and portal
- Knowledge gateway on health promotion and disease prevention
- A healthcare quality hub
- Funding possibilities EU4Health 2021-2027 – a vision for a healthier European Union
- Communicable diseases